Monday, October 3, 2011

1 Thessalonians 5:18

Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:18


I've known this verse for some time however, it was not until Gracie went to be with Jesus that it seemed to always come up.  Whether I read it in a card, heard it from a friend or pastor, it seemed like every time I turned around there it was. 
I'm going to be honest and tell you, it was one I truly struggled with, so you can imagine my frustration as it kept coming up.  It could not of been coming up at a worse time. I was at the weakest point in my life, and the pain and hurt seemed so unbearable.  I remember saying, "God, how do you expect us to give thanks for the circumstances that we are in, is this really your will?  How do we give thanks as we are witnessing our children suffer in pain through their surgeries, appointments, over all health and lastly the most difficult, witnessed our baby girl passing away and then being separated from her."  "Is our faith and trust not enough?  Now you want us to be thankful for this pain and hurt?"


It took quite a bit of time, but I will never forget the day this verse came up once again and it finally sunk in my heart.  "I got it."  I remember crying and saying, "thank you Jesus for not giving up on me and thank you for helping us to see the light in your truth."
You see, we need not to be thankful that our children are suffering in pain, we need not to be thankful that we are separated from Gracie, but we are to be thankful for all His glory that has come from these circumstances.  To trust in God's will is to trust in it at ALL times, not just when we see it fitting.  


Sometimes like you, I find myself in circumstances that are difficult and some life changes that I would happily do without.   However,  we always come back to the realization that these very same circumstances are the ones that are followed by great blessings.  We have been blessed so much and our trust in God's will for us, is now our source of energy through all times. 


God also uses many of my family and friends, including the Nelson's (a family whom I love so much)  to remind me of the power of this verse.  I struggled whenever I thought of them and this scripture.  How do you give thanks when everyday is like running a marathon.  It brings tears to my eyes to know how much they have been through, but also how much God loves them.  Through their circumstances many of us have witness a bountiful of blessings that have come along with it.  They continue to give thanks to God and what a true testimony of faith they are!!  


Remember as you are walking through your circumstances filled with pain and trials, God never leaves us or forsakes us.  He is constantly working on us.  Consider it pure joy that He has chosen you!  As difficult as it is during the times when we feel we will not make it through our journey, God has something much bigger and greater on the other side.  Pay attention and trust in Him and He will give you a sneak peak at how amazing He and His glory is.  If we allow God into our hearts to do His work, we will be able to Give thanks for all of our circumstances.  


Much love,
Terra





3 comments:

  1. Terra, I'm in tears right now...for several reasons.
    One, because Justin and I were talking about this very subject tonight. We were struggling about being joyful in our circumstances, and not wanting our circumstances to overtake us so that we lose sight of what God is doing...and when I started reading your post, I kept nodding in agreement with everything. It was exactly what I needed to be reminded of...and it is so much better knowing it comes from a friend who knows and understands...
    Then, I began to cry when you mentioned us an example. I feel so unworthy to even be mentioned or thought of as an example of this verse. I am humbled beyond words...
    Thank you for sharing your heart, and encouraging all of us. You and Adam are OUR examples of what it means to give thanks in all circumstances.
    We love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, now you both have me crying.
    Your two families are true inspirations to me... true examples of this verse. Terra, as we've briefly discussed, I struggle a lot on this very subject and have always been profoundly blown away by your unending faith and Victoria's. Thank you for sharing your heart and your thoughts with all of us.
    - Kristi (flockofswanns.blogspot.com)
    (can't post logged in for some reason!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terra, thank you for posting this...this is something we have been struggling with since returning from CA. It seems we can't get a break with Callie. She is suffering so bad with her vomiting and it is breaking my heart. And then before we know it, we will be back in CA for her to face yet another surgery. It is very hard. Thank you for sharing and reminding us of despite what we are experiencing, God is with us and at work. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete