Tuesday, September 1, 2009


I usually try to stay away from writing an update when I am feeling the way I do, which is a little broken. The reason being, is that we all search for happiness right? No one feels comfortable when hearing that someone is hurting, sad and feeling broken. We all search for happiness, whether it be with our friends, family, children, work and so on. Being happy makes us feel good and hearing or being around those that are sad makes us sad. Which is why I was uncertain about writing this, I don’t like anyone to feel bad or sad for us...it’s much more rewarding to hear how great we are doing, how strong our faith is and how it’s all going to be ok. But reality is that is not how we feel “all” the time. This life hurts at times, but “it’s our life” and there will be times when we feel broken and times when we are rejoicing. Our purpose of this blog is to share our journey through it’s difficult and wonderful times.

After Abigails surgery as we were walking into the cvicu I could not help to feel as if the strength I had was completely leaving me with each step I took. When I walked through the door to see the familiar sight I felt my body give in to everything. How could anyone ever get used to it.
Also, as I mentioned before, we used to be a little stronger but after Gracie we just don’t carry the same confidence that everything is going to be ok. It just might not be ok....and I guess that is where God wants us....to be completely reliant on him...walking into to this how could you not. It’s just sometimes we don’t feel the strength and we feel like it’s just “enough” and that is where we are today.

This is a very private picture for me and I was very hesitant to put it on the blog, becuase she is in bed so vulnerable with chest tubes, breathing tubes and a total of 5 IV’s. However, it gives you a glimpse of what many families have to face....there child laying in a hospital bed. It’s like this whole seperate world in a hospital....and it’s important to realize how precious all our lives really are. When I look at Abigail here the only thing I hold onto is that I am looking at not only my child, but ultimately God’s child and although she may suffer her on earth I know God is holding her through each moment.  

The next evening while being at our baby girls bedside we heard a mother and father down the hall screaming with a desperate cry, they had just lost their 12 yr old (or so) daughter. That’s when all the walls came down as the cry was all to familiar and made me think of the day we had to let go of Gracie.  I wish we had the strength we used to have, I pray for it daily.  I know God will sustain us, it’s just hard being here right now.
Abigail~now has pretty much all her tubes and lines out and is just trying to adjust to her repair.  We have had a few setbacks and have struggled watching her loose complete interest in feeding, she struggles just to get an ounce down,  she has lost over 1 1/2 lbs, her eyes are sunken in and her body is so frail.  We had just 8 days of what it felt like to have a “healthy” baby who was completely thriving, making baby sounds, eating, and sleeping.  It’s hard to see her so different  now, it just breaks our hearts to be back to this place.   
One of the many difficult things we are now dealing with is knowing that we are going to be back  here in less than three months to go through the same thing except next time it will be a full repair which will be even harder on her sweet little body.


Our dear sweet friends the Nelsons shared this on our blog the other day...
“Even youths grow tired and weary,

9 comments:

  1. I wish I had the gift of great words of wisdom to leave here for you to read. But I don't. Only the knowledge (somewhat) of where you've been and where you stand now.

    I'm sorry. It is hard to stand and stay strong. I pray that you will feel the presence of the Lord~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Terra, Thank you for sharing your heart. I think it's so important to share the difficult days and moments when you feel compelled to. For me, it is cathartic to write about the hard stuff - in an effort to sort it out and process it. To me, life is about the light and the dark, the hard and the easy, the joy and the sorrow; it is not about being strong all the time - sometimes we just have to let go and fall to our knees.

    I pray for God to wrap you in comfort and hope as you endure hospital life that is so trying. I pray for your Sweet, Sweet Abigail. I pray for Amazing Luke (and though Viv is sleeping right now, we both know she sends him kisses!). And I pray for your mama and dada hearts as you love your baby girl so well.

    Much love*h

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that you posted.
    I was telling myself yesterday....No news is good news, right? I think about you all...all of the time. I pray for strength, peace and healing for your sweet girl. *and your hearts* I absolutely can't imagine walking your path...I can't begin to imagine what that looks/feels like.
    I take such comfort in knowing that you are not walking it alone. I sent Victoria this great Nooma video about breathing...I'm sure if you had a moment and were in the place of wanting to "refuel" your spirit...it would encourage your heart.
    Thank you for sharing the intimate parts with us...it's good for us to break on behalf of others. After our trip to Africa...my travel partner said something that I will never forget...."Entering into the suffering of others...brings us closer to God".
    Thank you...and know that you are remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for opening up your heart and your thoughts... You are so vulnerable with your words & it has saddened me to know what you are (and, Adam, too) are going thru as you sit and watch little Abigail. I pray so many things for your family... We love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terra and Adam,
    Yours is a journey not many experience. Those of us with children with special hearts know a part of your journey. We move forward (and sometimes backwards) each day with uncertainty. The only certain fact is that we are doing the absolute best we can for our incredible children. The two of you are AMAZING parents and that is why God put Luke, Gracie and Abigail into your care. Only God knows what He has planned for our lives on earth. Nothing can take away the grief and pain you feel every day. Your family, friends and heart families are there to celebrate the good times and to help pick you up when you are feeling like you cannot move forward. There are no words to ease the pain you are feeling during this difficult time and the days and months to come. Know one thing I say with certainty, you are doing all that you can in advocating for your sweet Abigail. The rest is in God’s hands. He loves you and so do many, many others.

    So good to hear her lines are out, praise be to God. Sounds like you are one step closer to going home. Keep your eye on the prize:) We pray and hope that her recovery continues without complication and that you are all home soon. Thank you for updating the blog - it must be difficult but it is so very much appreciated:). We love you and pray for you constantly! Love- The Queens

    ReplyDelete
  6. i dont really have any words right now except to say that we love you. we continue to lift you guys up in prayer...
    love,
    justin and victoria

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found your blog through a blog, and another, and another...but just wanted to say how much your beautiful family's story has touched me. The foundation you've started in honor of your sweet angel is incredible. Thank you for inspiring me with your faith and hope. I've now read your blogs and I'm just amazed at what you've been through. Even though it's so unfair of what you've had to endure, God makes no mistakes. His love is amazing and unchanging. Please know that I'm praying for your family and especially, for your sweet little Abigail as she recovers from surgery. May you feel His love and grace as you face these difficult days.

    Heart hugs from one heart mom to another...
    Love,
    Katie (mom to Maddie, HRHS)
    http://allredbabygirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Terra and Adam,
    Charlie and I are praying for Abigail's eating to improve and for the Lord to give you strength and encouragement. I have just learned from Jon that little Abigail is doing better and we are so thankful! Thank you for sharing even very difficult moments with all of us. It is good for us to know so that we can be in constant prayer.

    Hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Terra,
    I am so moved by your honesty. At a time that you should be allowed to be vulnerable and feel the need to fall apart, you are concerned with how it will affect those around you... Clearly, you are an incredible soul.

    As Hannah so beautifully wrote, life is about the light and dark... the hard and easy. We are riding along side you on this journey - - and we want to be there for it all. Your honesty and willingness to share during the times that are most difficult - - when you feel your strength has left you - - that's when you need those who know and love you (and those of us who've never even met you) to be aware of where you are... it helps us know how to pray for you and your family.
    Thank you so much for sharing,
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete