Sunday, January 24, 2010

Good News, Not so Good News and Gratitude


Whenever given a choice, I always choose the bad news first. I guess that is because I like to get it out of the way so I can celebrate the good news.

So...let's start out with the...
Not so good News:

-Luke and I are pretty sick..I thought it was just "let down of being back home" but unfortunately, it's the whole thing..achey, headache, runny nose, sore throat, cough. It was literally over night. YUK! I cannot remember the last time I was sick. :( AND my poor Luke...it's hard to see your little ones sick.
-I never got a chance to get the flu shot
-We have to keep our distance from Abbey which is so very hard
-Abbey is barely eating enough to maintain the amount she needs (wondering if she may have a little something?) praying hard that is not the case.

Now for the....
Good news:

-Abbey has managed to take in enough formula to keep us out of the hospital at this time
-Adam is the best Dad ever and is taking great care of our baby girl. Abbey and Daddy are hanging out upstairs while the "germs" Luke and I hang out downstairs.
-We had one really fun day (yesterday) being home before we got sick.

Now on to...
Gratitude:

Gratitude A feeling of thankfulness and appreciation

We have not had a chance to thank all the Doctors and Nurses who played a huge part in healing our baby girl.

"The three qualifications of a good surgeon: He should have an eagle's eye, a lion's heart, and a lady's hand; in short, he should be endued with wisdom, courage and meekness." Matthew Henry

There is no doubt that Dr. Frank Hanley is blessed with all these qualifications and we thank him for mending our baby girl's heart. God has truly blessed him with a special gift and we are humbled to receive his works.

Dr. Frank Hanley, Surgeon


During our stay we were followed by Dr. Stephen Roth, Pediatric Cardiologist and Director of CVICU. His gentle manner and approach on treating Abigial was more than appreciated and we thank him deeply for all his care.

Dr. Stephen Roth


We also are so very grateful for all our other Doctors and Nurses who provided great care and kindness to our family. There were a few who were determined to make me smile and they definitely succeed. We also had the best social worker, Heidi. She listened to us time and time again and was quick to respond to all our concerns. She was always so warm and kind every time she came in to check on us, it meant so very much.

We had over 8 different nurses and we loved them all.
Below is our Nurses, Ben, Jackie and our Social worker Heidi


Now for all of you....thank you from the bottom of our hearts for carrying us through a difficult time. Your love and support is such a great big blessing to us!

Lastly and most importantly, I would like to thank God for providing us with the courage to face each day, the strength to get through each day and the Grace to carry us through it all. We are forever grateful and thankful to our Lord, Jesus Christ.

A thankful heart is one of the primary identifying characteristics of a believer. It stands in stark contrast to pride, selfishness, and worry. And it helps fortify the believer’s trust in the Lord and reliance of His provision, even in the toughest times. No matter how choppy the seas become, a believer’s heart is buoyed by constant praise and gratefulness to the Lord

John MacArthur


While we were in the hospital I was given a special gift. I was able to meet a heart mommy, Lindsey, her precious little guy Drey and her mother Kathy. There was definitely that "instant mommy bond" and Adam still jokes to this day about my new "BFF" God had us share a room for a reason and I feel so blessed that we were able to meet and look forward to our new relationship as "bff's." ;)

Lindsey and I at the hospital

Also, had the opportunity to spend time with a sweet family who I have been a follower of their blog. It was such a special blessing for Luke and I to spend time with Sarah and Callie. We picked them up and went out for a little fun.

Went to Create It and had some fun painting

What better way to end a good day then with a Kara's cupcake



Back at home enjoying life's great simple pleasures....

Playing with toys and playing some football with Daddy
Her favorites...chair, bath and snuggling on mommy....my favorites too!

Loving each moment of being back to our routine, except for the whole sick thing...not loving that too much.

We will take what we can get. Sending all our love...to all of you...Chez Family

8 comments:

  1. So sorry that you and Luke are sick! Hope it passes quickly without spreading to the others.

    This is a beautiful post on gratitude. Thank you for sharing~

    Lisa in TN
    (Eli's Mom!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying that you and Luke recover from your illness quickly. Thrilled that you are at home and that Abbey is doing so well. Keeping you in our prayers - The Queens

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, to hear you guys are sick. Praying you will be better, very soon. I sent you an email a few days ago. Just wanted to make sure you received it:) Will continue to pray Abigail's feeding pick up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So bummed that you and Luke are sick. Hope it passes quickly.
    So, so glad that Abbey has been able to get enough fluids/nutrition to stay out of the hospital. So very glad that you all had time to play and enjoy being home for a bit before the "ick" hit you and Luke.

    This journey is filled with so many ups and downs. It's so wonderful that amidst the difficult downs, you are able to find so many ups :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey guys,

    i hope the germs pass quickly too...it's NOT fun to have the flu! i'm also so happy that you were able to go home so soon (i know that you weren't expecting it either given our last conversation =)
    we love you all and continue to pray for complete healing, recovery, strength, and protection.
    always,
    the nelsons
    p.s. we couldn't agree with you more about the CVICU - the staff there is amazing! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terra,
    Sorry you and Luke are so sick. I know to well the lovely flu. So thankful for your husband that can take wonderful care of that sweet baby. This is a wonderful post on Gratitude. I also love the music that plays with it. Praying for all of you daily that the germs don't spread and the you heal quickly so you can go back to enjoying your husband and sweet baby. Thank you again for my birthday wishes. It was a great day!
    Hugs and love,
    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear you've been sick! I hope as I type this that you and Luke are on the mend and that Adam and Abbey are healthy!

    I'm so thankful you're home, and I'm so thankful that while you were away from home you were cared for by LPCH's amazing CVICU team - aren't they phenomenal?

    The photos of Luke and Abbey at the end of your post are so joyful - they make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Terra,
    I don't have your email...it doesn't pop up when I get your comments in my email... so I wanted to let you know we are definitely up for some playtime when everyone is well!
    Preston would LOVE to do something with Luke! :-) He has seen the pics of you guys at Irvine Park RR and wanted to do that, too! He's not been there yet. :-) I think, despite their age difference, they'd have a great time together no matter what we do!

    My email is: kristiswann@aol.com

    Hope you and Luke are feeling better and that Adam and Abbey haven't gotten it. And, I hope that she has increased her intake after settling in at home.

    Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete