Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Out of surgery

Just met with Dr. Hanley, and many prayers were answered. (love the power of God and prayer)

-He was able to perform the complete repair (thank Jesus)
-She was on bypass total of 5 hours
-The PA's were a little more complex then he anticipated, but he was successful in the repair
-The VSD was closed and we already have the conduction (heart is beating on it's own)
-He was able to put in a 16mm conduit (great news!) if the valve does not deteriate and we do not face other issues with it, then it could be 3 years until it needs to be replaced (positive thinking)
-There was a new finding of an ASD, but he was able to close that up as well
-He was barely able to close up her chest....he felt comfortable to do so, but did let us know there could be a small possibility they may need to reopen. Praying hard this will not need to be done
-Due to long time on bypass she will need extra support and recovery will be a longer process

I'm wishing we were feeling as positive as we were this morning, but the day has taken all our reserve out of us and we are feeling extremely emotionally and physically exhausted. AND the hardest part is yet to come....seeing our baby girl. Tears are rolling down my face as I write this, because I know what we will be walking into.

We are rejoicing for the successful repair, but we know how quickly things can change AND recovery is a whole different process.

From the bottom of our hearts we thank you for all your sweet words and prayers....please continue to help us pray for a smooth recovery.



8 comments:

  1. Chills ran through me as I read this update.
    I am so happy and relieved that (the amazing) Dr. Hanley was able to repair all that he had hoped... as well as the newfound ASD.

    We continue holding you so close... knowing you need strength beyond your own to take the next steps in your day.... seeing your sweet Abbey. Hoping and praying for a smooth recovery, that her chest swelling remains low enough to keep her closed and that she is easily extubated when the time comes.

    Thinking of you... praying...hoping... sending you strength...
    With love,
    The Swanns

    ReplyDelete
  2. WE ARE REJOICING WITH YOU GUYS!!!! THANK YOU GOD! OUR HEARTS ARE SO FULL READING THIS NEWS. We continue praying for strength and a smooth recovery.
    Much love,
    Justin and Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just popped by to check in - thank you for updating us, Terra.

    I have been thinking about what this day must have been like for you - you have been through it before...and oh, Terra...I am just wrapping you and your family in love and prayer. I am praying for Sweet Abbey's smooth recovery. I pray that as her heart heals, that yours does, too. With love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so focused on thinking of your mamaheart, I neglected to write what my initial reaction was when I saw your post - WOW! - celebration of the complete repair of your Lovely Abigail's heart! We ♥ Dr. Hanley! (We called him "Viv's rockstar surgeon".)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So greatly relieved. I mean, I knew God rocks, but to think of his extent of is rockness....is that a word? Will continue to pray thru the night for seeing your sweet girl, and continued healing.
    Love you guys,
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our thoughts and prayers are there with you at LPCH. As I read this, I can't help but tear up. I was there in that same place not so long ago. Addi's chest was open and she went into full heart block. The worst part is over, you have a full repair and she just needs to heal.
    Our love to Abbey.
    Love, Jesse, Nicole and Addison

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terra,
    What a sweet comment you wrote today, thank you. YOU have inspired me so much and I appreciate your wonderful example as a heart mom! I can only imagine what it's like to endure this with all of your children, you are the toughest gal I know! My heart goes out to you and admires you so!!!

    Praying for you as well as for sweet Abbey's recovery. I'm so happy that Dr. Hanley was able to complete her repair, he really is an amazing surgeon. I know Seattle thinks MUCH of him too (we got a second opinion from him on Maddie's case about a year ago and felt reassured with "the plan" after his input).

    Heart hugs and sending many prayers your way! May you feel His loving comfort and peace in the days ahead. Hold strong!!!
    Love,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praising God for a complete repair! I'm still lifting you up in prayer for a smooth recovery and for courage and strength to get through the coming weeks.
    Thinking of you,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete